Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summering in the Hamptons

Rosen Pool, 9.5" x 6.5", Watercolor Sketch, ©2007 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

The Hamptons are truly an ideal sort of fantasy land. I had never been, but my husband Lee and I had the opportunity this past weekend. We drove out to Long Island on Thursday evening to leave all our troubles behind and do nothing but relax. And that we did.

This sketch hopefully conveys the utter serenity of the place. It was a beautiful weekend, warm and sunny. We stayed at my sister-in-law's in-law's home where we had open access to the pool above, tennis courts, a hot tub, and the beach within driving distance.

The Hamptons has long been a respite for artists as the locale was at one point much more rural and less inundated by development and of course more reasonable properties. Jackson Pollock did his greatest works on the Island and living artist, Peter Beard maintains a residence on Montauk. I can see why, however the Hamptons of today are not within reach of an emerging artist unless through some generous friend or family. I am very fortunate to have spent this weekend away and hope to return sometime as a guest.

No comments: