Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Hydrangeas!

Hydrangeas from my Garden, 7 1/4" x 10 3/4", Watercolor on Arches, ©2007 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

My sister gave me a gorgeous Hydrangea plant when I moved into our home. I planted it two years ago, last summer no blooms. Finally this season it is bursting with flowers and color, starting out as a purple and changing to pinks. Over a week ago, I learned to cut a hydrangea and to make it last you must singe the end removing a waxy film that prevents the veins from drinking water. The flowers from more than a week ago still look stunning.

The above Coffee Hour Drawing of my Hydrangea is done in watercolor, a medium I have tended to relegate to my sketch book. It's not a medium I am overly comfortable with but have had a recent interest in working with something more transparent and loose in my drawings. My students have been inspiring me with the work they are doing and so I'm urged to play with mediums I'm not used to.

Enough with the computer -- I need a good night's sleep to prepare to paint tomorrow.

Stay tuned for the next post . . . Watching Jennie Paint.


No comments: