Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Goal Setting

I always thought I was the most anal and organized person; slightly out of whack for an artist. Yes, maybe I still am, but I've definitely changed since my mom used to turn things out of place on my desk just to annoy me. I was a little OCD growing up. And now there is an entire culture devoted to organizing our messy lives. Maybe I missed my calling?

Since starting a business and growing as an emerging artist, I've learned to live with clutter a bit more. True, I always need to clean up before I start a new work or project, but it inevitably gets messy. I never could have tolerated a messy desk, things out of their place. And yesterday I did break down an purchase very attractive storage crates for our laundry room because I couldn't handle the stuff falling off the wire shelving unit. Ok. I'm still a little OCD. But, the studio and office I can handle messy when I'm in the midst of work. And, I'm glad I chose art as a profession and not professional organization.

So I've been writing about my split personality regarding mess, you might be wondering what does this have to do with goal setting? Well, I think the two are intrinsically tied together. I've been working for almost 2 1/2 years as an artist, growing, pursuing new avenues, getting more known, but somehow without much of a concrete goal except to be able to financially contribute to my marriage. I'm starting to do this, but I've taken some workshops on marketing and developing goals and I'm realizing the importance of it and occasionally organizing the stuff around me so I can remain focused.

Suddenly after working through a workbook called The Artist's Marketing and Action Plan Workbook by artist, Jonathan Talbot, and sitting down and really evaluating my goals I've got some clarity. This was further realized when I reorganized my bulletin board toaday with a list of goals and various shows I'm applying for in the upcoming months. So if you're at all curious what my plans are here are my goals for the short term and as I broach them I will keep you informed. Hopefully you will see me accomplishing these things with the help of the knowledge that you are reading about it! I don't want to let me or you down.

Jennie Traill Schaeffer's Short Term Goals - 2007
  • Complete Outstanding Commissions.
  • Finish two new "Sainted Appliance" paintings.
  • Paint Castrocielo, Italy.
  • Increase Sales.
  • Hold an Open Studio event.
  • Consider renting a studio.
  • Promote the Release of a New Giclée.
  • Apply for a Fellowship with Peters Valley.
  • Increase Calendar Sales from Last Year.
  • Start Promoting Paintings of Wedding Cakes.
  • Decide how to update my web site.

No comments: