Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June Wedding . . . Cake Portrait

I write frequent posts about my students, my fine artwork featuring my vintage appliances and aprons, but haven't spent much attention on the very interesting Wedding Cake Portrait. This month, the month of weddings, I finished my first Wedding Cake Portrait commission of the year. I was hired by one of my former college roommates to commemorate her sister and brother-in-law's wedding cake from their February nuptials.

The cake, photographed by Sara Schulte of the Philadelphia area, was composed of three white frosted layers, trimmed with black ribbon, garnished with red roses. It was a simple, and elegant cake. When I was coming up with composition ideas for Michelle, she told me her sister loved her dress, particularly the bow accent below the bodice. I came up with a piece that incorporated that aspect as a punctuation and backdrop for the portrait. 

If you're in Newton during the next two weeks, you can see it in person in my gallery window. I'll be working on framing suggestions to finish it off and send it to Michelle's sister and brother-in-law. This cake was a joy to paint and I wish the couple years of happiness.

Image Above: February 26, 2010, Oil on Canvas, 11" x 14", ©2010 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

No comments: