Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

It's a little early for the dog days of summer, but with temps we had in New Jersey over the weekend, it may have been August. During this utterly oppressive heat this past weekend, I held my grand opening, part of which was devoted to drawing live pets.

Based on the reaction people had to my invitation and
announcement of free pet portraits, I thought I would have 25 dogs lined up at my door Sunday morning.

Kalee, 18" x 24", Graphite on Paper, © 2008 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

However, I'll chalk up the smaller turnout of only 3 dogs to the blistering temperatures. It did turn out to be a great time; I drew three dogs, two together. Each pet owner was gracious enough to help keep their dogs focused and calm, with the help of a few treats I had on hand.

Porter and Amber, 18" x 24", Graphite on Paper, © 2008 Jennie Traill Schaeffer

I would definitely do this again and hope for a cooler day. Thanks to Kalee, Porter and Amber for their genteel behavior and smashing looks!

No comments: