Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 15 at Peters Valley

Mixer Maesta in Progress, Oil on Stretched Linen, 3' x 5', © Jennie Traill Schaeffer

As promised here's the latest installment of the Mixer Maesta. Yesterday was the fifth day of working on the painting. It was a pivotal day because I was frustrated with the shadow in the background. Initially it was bigger and more of a lavender left very open-ended with the palette knife. To my appreciation, one of the artist/teachers at Peters Valley stopped by yesterday and openly gave me criticism.

Kulvinder Kaur Dhew came by the studio to use the facilities and we ended up talking. We had met two years ago at an art show in Sparta. She's an accomplished artist, known recently for her sublime graphite drawings of atmospheric conditions that are metaphors for the busy lives we lead. I invited her into the studio to see my work and she immediately openly with criticism which she quickly apologized for. In the two and a half weeks I've been here, I've not received any comments on my work and so I requested she go on.

She pointed out things that I knew were problems, but couldn't quite pin-point how to resolve or specifically what the problem was. The shadow was problematic and she suggested I shift the tone down and emphasize the palette knife edging that I was working with. Additionally, she gave me some positive feedback about the subject matter, quality of my painting/brushwork, and color.

I was so relieved to hear constructive criticism. I'm always open to it to push my work and my ability. Sometimes you need to hear from an unbiased viewer. So above, you'll see the shadow as it's been changed and the painting is close to completion. There are some things I need to tighten up and the floor/shadows need to be finished. I'm hoping to accomplish this today, but alas we have a potluck dinner tonight. So I have to leave the studio early to be domestic and make my mom's macaroni and cheese.

I'll be posting some small landscape drawings I've been working on when I post again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love that painting!!! It really speaks to me. The apron backdrop is genius. I can't imagine what more you're doing to it because it looks done to the layperson's eye.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Christine - this is right up your ally! Well, there are so many things that needed to be finished from the shadows under the chair to fixing some of the stripes in the apron.

Jennie