Friday, May 25, 2007

Newton Spring Fling

If you haven't been to Newton, NJ, there are more and more reasons to visit. Last Sunday, Newton held its 2nd Annual Spring Fling -- an afternoon of food, wine, beer, art, music and antiques along historic Spring Street. I participated in the event last year and was quite impressed by the great turnout, and the sales I had! That's always a plus.

I've lived in Newton for almost two years now. It's a small town about 3 square miles small with approximately 8000 residents. Spring Street is the historic "main" street in Newton which was the center of commerce until the malls developed. Now, as more Americans are desiring main streets our town is working to get a Main Street designation to redevelop and attract new businesses both to Spring Street and the town at large.

It's an exciting time. We have six or seven terrific restaurants on Spring -- one that is Zagat rated (Bula) and another rated excellent by the NYTimes (Andre's) and a new soup/sandwich shop called Croutons. Love the name! And, the old Plaza Restaurant, an upscale diner, just reopened. Beyond the restaurants there are galleries, antiques, and boutiques.

Radiant Essentials is my favorite gift shop. Bernadette, the owner, also has exhibited my work for almost 6 months. So, yes, I'm biased, but the minute you go in, you will fall in love. Then there's the Chocolaterie across the street which sells imported Dutch / Belgian chocolates. Mmmmm. Just opened is a cute yarn store, called the Yarn Loft -- it makes me want to knit. Of course, I paint and don't have time to learn to knit but the colors of the yarn stacked on shelves is like paints in an art store. I just want to buy them! Let's see, then in June a cheese shop is opening called Cheddar Alley and a pet boutique is coming, too. There's also a framer on the street called Craft Creators. Oh, and I forgot Vivian's -- a fabulous clothing boutique. And, we have a book shop (Book Shelf) on Spring Street and I hear we are getting an old fashioned ice cream parlor.

Now, for the galleries. Radiant Essentials has a gallery within. The Sussex County Arts and Heritage Council is just off Spring Street. And, a new gallery just opened called Gallery on the Green.

So, if I haven't given you enough reasons to visit Newton, make an appointment to visit my studio! Now, you must come.

Newton has been a great location for an emerging artist to grow and build a business. Taking part in the Spring Fling, though I didn't have any sales this Sunday, is a great way for an artist to let the community know you're there. It's tough to reach people when you work from your home. I met many new people and added six new entries on my mailing list. Newton's truly the Pearl of Kittatinny and the people are wonderful. Please visit!

No comments: