Thursday, November 19, 2009

3:30pm Coffee Fix


Saved at Three - Thirty, Mixed Media on Arches, 10 1/2" x 7 1/4", ©2009 Jennie Traill Schaeffer. $269 (unframed)

I completed this about two weeks ago, in a tizzy one day not certain what to work on and feeling very unfocused. Rather than work on commissions I felt it was important to channel my frustration into something for myself. I was about to make myself a pot of coffee and rather than throw away the used filter I decided to collage it onto a drawing of my wedding cake which had been sitting around the studio for a long time. Once I started gluing, the piece just evolved. After completing my painting, Homage to Julia, I have a need to collage. It incorporates watercolor, several coffee filters, and this gorgeous deep blue green paper with copper screen-printed circle motifs. Of course, the ever-present percolator is incorporated.

4 comments:

Kathy Morawski said...

Very cool Jennie! I think collage works for you too!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathy! Need more collage materials. In the new year . . . new works.

Unknown said...

nice concept =) i've yet to try cofee painting. looks exciting.

Unknown said...

Hi Kydlat. It is a lot of fun. Most of the painting is actually watercolor, but I used a used coffee filter. Though I have stained paper before with coffee and tea. Creates really interesting effects. How'd you find my blog?